Let’s face it. Life sucks under the “social distancing” mitigation efforts against the COVID-19 coronavirus. During this time, we have two ways we can handle it:
- We can succumb to negativity, or
- We can face this challenge with a positive outlook and resolve.
If we allow the social restrictions to defeat us, we will probably miss the “silver lining” in the situation that will bring us the kind of personal growth that will serve us for the rest of our lives. Let’s take a look at 10 things we can do that will help us stay positive during this time of social isolation:
- Find and take on the optimistic outlook of the situation. A positive life starts with positive thoughts. Thinking about the good that can come out of this social isolation is better than beating yourself up over this situation that you had no control over or input.
- Surround yourself with positivity. Stay clear from family, friends, and social media contacts who would rather wallow in the negative aspects of social distancing than focusing on the hidden opportunities. You already know all the negative, your mission is to find the positive aspects and surround yourself with others having the same goal.
- Don’t exaggerate and focus on a minor issue. It’s very easy to be pessimistic. In other words, don’t turn a molehill into a mountain. See the obstacle for what it is … something that can be overcome.
- Brighten someone else’s life. Karma alone dictates that the positivity of a smile and a kind word or gesture will be returned — by somebody, someday — to lift you up when you need it most.
- Live a healthy lifestyle. Get enough sleep. Eat nutritious food. Exercise. Take care of yourself during this stressful time so you’ll be ready “take on the world” when you get through this.
- Start your day on a positive path. Just as you need food to nourish your body, you need inspiration and motivation to nourish your mind and inner spirit. There are a multitude of sources you can use to provide the inspiration and motivation needed to get and keep your life on a positive trajectory.
- Maintain a routine. Get up early. Have a set time to go to bed. Have set times to eat. Have a purpose or project for the day. Have a reason and purpose to be alive today.
- Get outdoors. Getting outdoors in the morning sun for a while is a natural upper. Take a walk. Do some exercises. Read a book. It really doesn’t matter … your body, mind and inner spirit just needs the sun to jump-start your day … positively.
- Find some humor in the situation. When we step back a little bit, we’ll be able to find some humor in all of this. Many times these bits of humor are hidden from us when we are focusing on the pain and frustration. Laugh! It’s a great way to immediately improve our outlook and attitude.
- Learn something new. Learning keeps our mind actively fit. Learning keeps our mind in a state of acceptance and change. It also keeps us from dwelling on the negative.
You will get through this.
You will get though this whole.
You will be a better person when you get through this.
Why? Because you chose to.