“A simple life is not seeing how little we can get by with—that’s poverty—but how efficiently we can put first things first. . . . When you’re clear about your purpose and your priorities, you can painlessly discard whatever does not support these, whether it’s clutter in your cabinets or commitments on your calendar.
― Victoria Moran
Different times throughout my life I have chosen a principle that I wanted to dedicate an entire year to learning about, implement and practice until it became a natural part of my thinking and living. For 2020, that principle is to simplify my life from top to bottom.
Before I could start simplifying my life, I had to be brutally honest with myself and determine why my life had become so complex. I am retired. There is no reason why my life should be so complex.
My analysis clearly showed that I allowed it to happen. There is no one else to blame. I am the one who didn’t say no to friends, family and encompassing circumstances. I allowed my life to keep taking on additional activities and responsibilities. Life offers enough attention and challenges without intentionally adding to it.
Though it is only the middle of March, I am making noticeable progress by:
- Reducing the number of activities that are not bringing happiness and fulfillment to my life.
- Reducing the number of activities with family and friends. Frequent shared activities aren’t required to maintain a close relationship.
- Doing a better job of scheduling my life and not allowing myself to be “cluttered” with spur-of-the-moment activities.
- Handling potential problems (relationships, budgeting, personal business, home and car repairs, etc.) as soon as I see one developing.
- Getting adequate rest and sleep.
- Having some daily “me time” for relaxation and personal development.
I am looking forward to seeing where I end up the year in comparison to where I started. I’m already noticing an improved outlook on life and far less stress.
Do you have a life-changing improvement plan for your life that you are working on? If yes, please send me your story in the comment section provided. I would enjoy knowing about it!